Those who suffer from neck pain experiences discomfort in some parts of the neck. These may be due to being injured, having an infection or just from inflammation.
Usually neck pain is the result of being strained and sprained. There are those disorders that lead to lower back pain also lead to having neck pain as well. These usually have something to do with the spine, the supporting tissues or even both. The most common of these causes are ligament, Stress and muscle strains. Others may be due to being injured, having arthritis, a disordered disk, fibromyalgia and meningitis.
Around 10% of the adult population at any one time is suffering from a stiff neck
Causes of Neck Pain
- Atlantoaxial subluxation – A disorder where the 1st and 2nd vertebrae of are not aligned properly.
- Cervical spondylosis – This is the result of the degeneration of the disks and vertebrae in the neck leading to the nerves emerging through the vertebra and being pinched. It may also be caused by the spinal cord being compressed due to the narrowing of the spinal canal.
- Temporomandibular joint disorders – The problem is found in the jawbone’s joint. This disorder usually affects women in their 20s or 40s.
- Spasmodic torticollis – Caused by the contracting of the head muscles which causes the head tilting and rotating in odd positions.
- Also having a tear in the artery lining of the neck, a block or maybe a tumor inside the esophagus, bone infections, and the inflammation of the thyroid gland and esophagus.
- Pain emerging from the neck pain on left side will sometimes lead to the numbing of an arm or even lead to a headache. The neck itself will become stiff, tender or even both accompanied with pain. Movement may make the pain worse. The pain will also sometimes go to the upper back and shoulders and giving you a headache. This neck pain and headache is serious trouble if it occurs regularly.
- The numbing of an arm is due to the nerve being compressed. Those who suffer may also experience a tingle, weakness, or numbness in arms or even the legs. If it affect the spinal cord and compress it, patients may suffer from an uncontrollable bladder and some bowel disorders. Depending on the disorder, symptoms will differ.
Neck Pain Relief Treatment
The diagnoses of doctors are based off the patient’s symptoms, physical exams, or imaging tests and x-rays.
Usually, doctors will use the patient’s description of what they are feeling to have a diagnosis. They may also base it off some risk factors which will help find the cause or conduct an exam of the patient. These examinations include the nervous system evaluation. They may also have the patient move their neck to identify the range of movement and whether if pain is accompanies the movement or not.
Treatments will have to be based on what causes the pain. In most cases however, drinking analgesics bought from the local pharmacy like non steroidal and anti-inflammatory drugs or analgesics will ease the pain. If the pain is not caused by inflammation then what is recommended are acetaminophen over NSAIDs as it will be safer to the patient.
Quick Neck Pain Relief Exercise